On many occasions, clients have asked us what they should look for in legal counsel. These are our thoughts on the subject.
(1) Hire an attorney, not a law firm. Ultimately the practice of law is a personal service, provided by an attorney to a client. There are many fine law firms in the world, but your case will be handled by an attorney, not a firm.
(2) Judgment. Intelligence without judgment is a recipe for disaster. What are you seeking to accomplish, and how can this be accomplished in the most efficient manner, balancing all relevant factors, including cost and other constraints.
(3) Experience. Particularly in the specific area of your need.
(4) Responsiveness. Law is a service industry. Your lawyer needs to respond to your needs, on your schedule, and to keep you apprised of status.
(5) Flexibility. Willingness to structure a fee, or to pursue a matter, so as to meet a client’s needs and desires.
(6) Passion and dedication. This is not just a job. There needs to be dedication to the client, and to the work.
(7) Creativity. Admittedly a rare quality for many attorneys, when combined with judgment, creativity is what distinguishes great lawyers from the mundane or mediocre.
Ultimately, you should be looking for an attorney whom you trust, and who has the judgment, creativity, experience, passion, resources, and abilities needed both to meet your needs — and exceed your expectations.
We invite you to contact us to discuss your legal needs.
Schulman Blackwell LLP
11 Broadway Suite 615
New York New York 10004